Fancy Pants

Ohhh… If only I could write like this. You can, by the way, download this fancy font here.

Now It’s time for another episode of ‘Speak English.’ This one is thanks to a Craft Snob reader.

In the UK, ‘pants’ refers to your underwear. Note to self: Do not go to an alteration shop and ask to have my pants hemmed.


  1. I saw this list and thought of your "Speak English" posts.
    Living in Glasgow, I can vouch for a lot of these words. Like "cot" instead of "crib" and "trolly" instead of "shopping cart." A lot of words seem very cheery and childlike (not saying that Brits are juvenile) but it's always funny hearing grown-ups say "lolly" instead of "popsicle" or "dummy" instead of "pacifier." 
    Oh, a few important ones for the buying groceries at the market (or "at the shops") is that zucchinis are "courgettes" and eggplants are "aubergines."

    • I heard "dummy" in not the nicest way. Our British landlord was introducing my baby to her grandson. She said, "Oh Jack, look at that dummy! She sure likes it!" It took me a little bit of reasoning in my head to figure out that she meant my daughter likes her pacifier, not that I like my daughter, the dummy!

    • This is great Elisa. Thank you!

  2. steer clear of the word "Fanny" what we call a fanny pack makes the brits break out in child-like blushing giggles. It seems that while we are referring to the back, they are referring to the front. 

  3. I'm Canadian but we watch an awful lot of British TV (mostly panel quiz shows) and the term 'pants' can also refer to something bad or 'crap' as the Brits say. i.e. "That show was pants, but we had a good time afterwards."

Leave a Reply