Hello there Craft Snob fans. I am Sachiko from Tea Rose Home where I share my sewing, refashioning, craft tutorials and such. I also write about my thoughts and little happenings as well to make you smile.
Where I live, the weather is getting colder and colder, and it makes me wanna play with some felt. I decided to share an easy felt project that you can actually turn into two different projects, DIY coasters or pincushions. Also, these would be a perfect, easy, inexpensive small Christmas gifts for friends, neighbors and sewing groups.
Do you already have some felts around the house? If not, it would be fun to go to a fabric stores or craft store to pick some up. I found a few last week at Joann’s, 4 for a dollar. To create these pincushions or DIY coasters you could totally have fun with which colors to combine together. Are you interested? Let’s start.
- Felt in many colors
- DMC floss that will match the felt you are going to work with
- Fiber fill (if you are making a pincushion)
- White marking pencil, needle, and other sewing tools.
HOW TO MAKE DIY COASTERS AND PINCUSHION
You need three pieces of felt (4.5″ x 4.5″) which will be used for the top, the middle and the bottom layers. I chose three different shades of blue, but you could use the same colors for the top and the bottom, and something different for the middle.
2. On the felt for the top part, mark an X in the middle. Leave 1/2″ from all the corners. Cut on the lines.
3. Layer the middle felt under the top felt. Sew in the middle, so they won’t move around.
4. Lift up the middle of one of the lines that are cut and fold it outward, pin and sew. I chose to sew by hand, but I bet it would look pretty to sew by machine too.
5. Repeat the process till all 8 parts are sewn. Then, you will end up with this:
6. Layer that with the bottom piece then sew…WAIT! There are two Separate instruction from here.
If you are going the make a pincushion, remember to leave a 2″ to 3″ opening on the side, so you can put fiber fill in. After you have done that, sew it shut.
You just made yourself a pincushion.
If you chose to make coaster, all you need to do is just sew all four sides… yes, that is it! I have to warn you though… it is so much fun to think about color combinations, you might want to make tons of them just like I did…
My personal favorite is this one; mustard and light gray.
I had so much fun coming up with the bite sized sewing ideas. Thank you for having me here Sara!