Hi there! I’m Sara from alice & lois design studios. My twin sister and I share an Etsy shop and blog. I am excited to share this easy and fun sewing tutorial here on Bite Sized Sewing. This tutorial for a little girls fabric headband takes under 30 minutes to complete. This is a great project for beginners.
- Scrap fabric (cotton works best)
- Fold over elastic
- Sewing machine and basic sewing supplies
- Headband template
1. Using template, cut 2 headband pieces. Fold fabric and place wide end of template on fold. The headband pieces are 12 inches in length. The oval shape headband is 1.25 inches on the ends and 2.5 inches in the middle. Cut a 10 inch piece of fold over elastic.
2. Place the right sides of the fabric together. Fold down 1/4 inch and iron one end of headband. Slid in the FOE between the fabric pieces. Pin the pieces together.
3. Starting at the end of the headband with the FOE sticking out, sew that end and the two long sides. Leave the other end of headband open. Leave a half inch on each side of 2 long sides on the open end.
4. Next pull the the inside out by pulling the inner fabric through the open end of headband.
5. Iron the headband flat. Iron in a quarter inch on the open end of the headband.
6. Slip the FOE in the opening (about 1/2 inch). I recommend measuring your child’s head to determine the perfect fit for elastic.
7. Topstich all the way around the headband to give a clean look. Make sure and back stitch on the ends to ensure the elastic is secure.
Now you have a sweet and simple fabric headband for your little girl. Check out more simple sewing tutorials on our blog! Our blog is dedicated to showcasing DIY projects, ideas to celebrate family, curating inspiration and spotlighting goodness. Follow us 0n Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Thanks again Sara for having us on your blog!